Thursday, October 11, 2012

Life's Funny Moments

I know there are a lot of people in the Weight Watchers organization that are just not aware of my everyday experiences, so I thought I would share what happened to me on Saturday afternoon, June 23, 2012.

Following a very successful Open Meeting in Ridgeley, WV I decided to run some personal errands along Route 68 between Cumberland and Hagerstown, MD.  I stopped at the Log Cabin Inn to use the facilities.  My car keys were in the jacket pocket of the suit I was wearing.  As I finished I heard the metal of the keys hit the porcelain of the toilet and you guessed it - I flushed my keys – never to be found again.

Did you know rental car places close down at 12:00 o’clock on Saturday afternoons?  Well, I didn’t either!  I even asked the man at the bar and grill if I could borrow his truck.  Guess what he said!  I didn’t call my children because, while they would have come, I would have heard about my escapades until my last day on earth.  The roadside assistance offered by the vehicle I drive was of no value either.

So?  What to do?  I called Rick Bragg, a trusted employee for over 27 years.  He went to my house, found the spare key and began his journey to Hancock, MD.  It would have been easy to drown myself in bar and grill foods since I blundered so with my keys – resting somewhere within a specific septic tank.  Weight Watchers taught me what to do when there’s trouble and you want to drown your sorrows by eating everything.

I settled on a huge salad, grilled chicken, dressing on the side and a baked potato.  I could smell those fries and, of course, the place that harbored me for almost 6 ½ hours had such tempting onion rings!  Nope – I’m not going there.  I wanted to win this battle by being strong and not using my unfortunate turn of events against myself.  It’s so easy to do.

Rick Bragg and his girlfriend arrived in Hancock at 7:00 p.m. to great cheers from everyone at the bar that had now filled with neighboring people ready to get their Saturday night drinking on to a more serious note.  Rick was my hero.  He stayed at the Log Cabin Inn for dinner and I began the journey home.  My garage looked so good at 12:35 a.m. and my bed was the most welcome spot in the world.

I now wear my keys on a lariat around my neck after paying $306.86 for their replacement.  I think I learned a lesson . . . or at least I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment