Everyone's favorite, pasta is a versatile food that can change dramatically, taking on a new character with the addition of each delectable sauce. Pasta is high in carbohydrates, which is our bodies' main source of fuel. In fact, athletes turn to pasta for meals rather than the heavy, high-protein meals they used to consume. Here are six ways to help make pasta healthier.
1. Avoid butter and cream sauces.
2. If a cream sauce is called for choose the nonfat or low-fat varieties.
3. When it comes to Noodles choose the yolk-free, thereby reducing the amount of cholesterol in the dishes.
4. Try using Whole Wheat pasta for a dish that's higher in vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
5. Add lots of high-fiber vegetables and legumes in pasta dishes.
6. To get your kids to eat their veggies disguise them in multicolored and fun shaped pastas.