Dairy Dishes & Snacks
Spice up your life with some of these flavorful secrets to enhance the flavors of your favorite foods. This week we're focusing on dairy dishes and snacks!
Flavorful Dairy Dishes
- Cinnamon and vanilla add a new flavor to low-fat cottage cheese, part-skim ricotta cheese, or plain low-fat yogurt.
- Yogurt makes a good salad dressing base. To 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt add 1/2 teaspoon each oregano and dill weed, 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1 tablespoon minced onion flakes.
- Low-fat cottage cheese in the blender makes a creamy salad dressing. After blending, mix with 2 tablespoons ketchup, 2 teaspoons pickle relish, 1 tablespoon finely minced green pepper, and 1 teaspoon minced onion flakes.
- For the taste of cheesecake, to 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and sweeten to taste. Add other flavored extracts as desired.
- Mix 1 packet instant beef-flavored broth mix and 1 tablespoon minced onion flakes with 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt for a delicious dip for vegetables.
- Spread a small amount of reduced-calorie margarine on whole wheat toast. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sweetener for delicious cinnamon toast.
- For garlic bread, sprinkle with garlic powder and oregano.
- Make popcorn with a hot air popper, spray with nonstick cooking spray, and sprinkle with your favorite spice.