Low in fat, high in fiber, and loaded with vitamins and minerals, vegetables are virtual powerhouses of nutrition. With health professionals recommending that vegetables play a major role in our daily meals, it is wise to include a wide variety of vegetables in your diet.
1. For the best flavor and nutritional value, cook vegetables until just tender-crisp and leave the skin on whenever possible.
2. Fresh vegetables are best, with frozen vegetables being my second choice.
3. Canned vegetables often contain high amounts of salt and also tend to be overcooked.
4. Steaming is a cooking method that preserves much of the flavor and texture of the vegetables and keeps vitamin loss to a minimum.
5. Always wash and trim vegetables before using.
My past blog vegetable chart is a guideline for cooking times. However, cooking times will vary, depending on the freshness and variety of the vegetables.