The versatility of chicken has made it a universal favorite, with almost every culture having its own traditional favorites. When buying chicken, the white meat is your best bet, because it is lower in fat than the dark meat. Below are seven more healthy tips for chicken.
1. Always remove the skin before cooking.
2. Avoid frying. Instead you can broil, barbecue, stir-fry, roast, steam, or poach.
3. For added nutrition, try coating chicken with wheat germ, in place of bread crumbs, before baking.
4. Use orange or lemon rind for flavor pick-me-ups.
5. If you wish to sauté, use a nonstick pan and a small amount of polyunsaturated oil or margarine.
6. For an Italian flavor, bake chicken with canned tomatoes and season with oregano, basil, and garlic.
7. When oven-roasting a whole chicken, remove the skin after cooking, or the meat will be too dry.