Tofu. The name sounds strange, almost mysterious. Many of you have seen tofu in supermarkets or health food store, but are afraid to try it, because they don’t know what to do with it. Below are seven hints that will help you discover the wonderful versatility of tofu.
1. One 3-½ ounce serving of tofu provides only 75 calories.
2. Also provided in one 3-½ ounce serving of tofu provides 128 mg. of calcium.
3. The flavor of tofu is so bland that it takes on the flavor of whatever it is mixed with.
4. Tofu is a product that is made from soybeans in much the same way that cheese is made from milk.
5. Be sure to store tofu in water, in a covered container, in the refrigerator. Change the water daily to keep the tofu fresh for one week.
6. Tofu provides a wonderful “invisible” way to extend dishes, such as meat loaves, mashed potatoes, and cheese dishes, while adding a considerable amount of protein.
7. In many areas tofu is available as soft or firm, referring to the texture. In most recipes any type can be used. However, firm tofu contains almost twice as many calories as soft tofu.