Appetizers set the tone for the rest of the meal. Since they are the "first act" of the meal, I like them to be a positive indication of the delicious tastes that follow. Here are some tips to keep your appetizers healthy and delicious.
1. Keep your appetizers light. They should whet the appetite, rather than fill you up.
2. Try to keep the fat content as low as possible in your spreads by using only low-fat and non-fat dairy products.
3. Add fiber by using lots of fruits, vegetables, and legumes.
4. When choosing a cracker, go for the whole grain kind. They are high in fiber and low in fat.
5. Try creating your own homemade chips, like these sweet potato chips. The packaged kind are usually fried and very high in fat.