Thursday, March 14, 2013

5 Tips for Healthy Appetizers

Appetizers set the tone for the rest of the meal. Since they are the "first act" of the meal, I like them to be a positive indication of the delicious tastes that follow. Here are some tips to keep your appetizers healthy and delicious. 



1. Keep your appetizers light. They should whet the appetite, rather than fill you up.

2. Try to keep the fat content as low as possible in your spreads by using only low-fat and non-fat dairy products.

3. Add fiber by using lots of fruits, vegetables, and legumes.

4. When choosing a cracker, go for the whole grain kind. They are high in fiber and low in fat. 

5. Try creating your own homemade chips, like these sweet potato chips. The packaged kind are usually fried and very high in fat. 

5 comments:

  1. I like salsa and chips as an appetizers, but I agree appetizers too high in fat, usually have me not eating the dinner portion.

    I'm a new follower on GFC from the Thumping Thursdays Hop. I'd love for you to stop by my blog sometime! :)

    Heather from Mommy Only Has 2 Hands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Heather. I like to add fiber and protein to my appetizers and eliminate most of the fat. I will start following you!

      Delete
  2. That's the thing with some appetizers. Just like you said, they're supposed to whet, not fill you up that you can;t finish or even eat your main course anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. They are supposed to prep your system for the great meal you are about to enjoy!

      Delete